Sunday, April 08, 2007

Change is good...forward is always better than backward.


Maybe it's just accepting reality, but today I believe change is good. This past week I have had many opportunities to observe change in myself and in my family. Some changes are awesome - Nathaniel went to Sunnyvale yesterday to visit Dad and play at Great America (we all went). We forgot the stroller, but it was not an issue - in fact, it was a huge relief. Nathaniel went on many rides with the whole family, he waited patiently while big sisters went on rides too big for him, and we did not have to tailor our choices around the stroller. He loved the sky tram, we rode it twice.

After the park we all went to IHOP and had a sit down meal. I was a wonderful day, a family day. And there is nothing better than that....except, perhaps, overhearing Jack and Alice this morning talking to each other about how fun the day was and hearing, "It was a perfect day!"

Lots of other changes - moving, new schools, and just growing up. Sometimes I think it's more challenging for me than for them. We were talking about stuff the other day, and I was babbling on about how babies learn to trust that their loved ones are thinking about them and taking care of them even when they are not physically present. I was saying something about how repeated experiences create a sort of security bubble around us, and Anna piped up "and I have a security bubble the size of Kansas!" How cool is that for a mom to hear!!

Alan Cohen : It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.

No comments: