Monday, July 16, 2007

Flying.

Guillaume Apollinaire :
Come to the edge.
We can't. We're afraid.
Come to the edge.
We can't. We will fall!
Come to the edge.
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

Flying is a great metaphor - it brings to mind fear, risk, joy, weightlessness, release. For me, for now, it has to do with choosing - being deliberate as I choose, knowing that our choices create our lives. For much of my life I have felt driven by circumstance. You know, this happens so I must do this in response. Or this need arises, so I must do this. Instead, unexpectedly, circumstances created a gracious space wherein I could make choices about what I wanted my life to include. Gratitude is the foundation of the realization that this was possible. Gratitude and relationships - without the support of my husband, children, and friends I could never jump, or fly.

We'll see what happens, but the flight is exhilerating. Peace.

No comments: